Las Vegas might be the most under appreciated city on the 2014 Sprint Cup schedule.
It gets one race per year, and that race is the third of the 2014 Sprint Cup season. Because it’s Vegas and during Spring Break, the race is usually well attended and animated. Vegas also hosts the Sprint Cup banquet which serves as an easy to consume one week PR blitz.
Vegas probably deserves a second race, in part because the odds for Sunday’s race look so appealing.
I would strongly wager fake money that Joe Gibbs Racing will have a team that races for the 2014 Sprint Cup title at Homestead. That said, the odds for their drivers this week make no sense. Here’s where they rank as favorites compared to their average finish at Vegas over the last five years.
- Matt Kenseth, Tied for 2nd favorite, Average finish of 12th
- Kyle Busch, Tied for 2nd favorite, Average finish of 15th
- Denny Hamlin, Tied for 5th favorite, Average finish of 17th
Those making the numbers and maybe JGR fans love this team far more I do this weekend.
Remember when Joey Logano was the hot rookie. Remember when he was the hotheaded punk? Could he now be underrated?
For the third straight week, Logano has been with the big boy pack in terms of odds. Now sitting at 12/1, Logano is ahead of Carl Edwards, Jeff Gordon and Kurt Busch.
Logano has only averaged a 14th place finish at Vegas over the last five years and led a whopping one lap. Clearly, respect for Logano on the track has grown.
Vegas hosts some of the world’s best buffets, so it’s no surprise there’s a plethora plate of value at Sunday’s race.
- Carl Edwards has the best average finish among active drivers at Vegas over the last five years and even won here once. He’s 15/1.
- Only Tony Stewart has led more laps at Vegas over the last five years than Jeff Gordon. NASCAR’s Ashton Kutcher is also 15/1.
- Clint Bowyer has the seventh best average finish among active drivers at Vegas and is 30/1.
Here are race odds for your favorite driver Sunday. Enjoy one of the most under appreciated races of the 2014 Sprint Cup season.