Sunday afternoon in Dover, Jimmie Johnson led 207 laps, Carl Edwards led 117 laps and Matt Kenseth led only 33,... MORE
No photos at this time.
Dover International Speedway
The Monster Mile.
Not only does Dover have the coolest logo/mascot/dude that could mess with Iron Man, it also has a surface that messes with even the best Sprint Cup drivers.
Dover is a one-mile oval that’s fast, narrow and built with gobs of banking. That makes passing difficult. And oh by the way the track changes significantly as rubber builds, more so than other spots on tour. Some drivers liken it to a bigger Bristol, though drivers rely more on one groove at Dover than Bristol.
Dover has hosted more than 80 Sprint Cup races; so folks know their way around the track. It also hosts a Chase race; so, crews should have a pretty solid setup can when race coverage begins at noon EDT. Now some other fun facts from the track’s website while you’re eating grilled meat and procrastinating on yard work.
- Dover has 24 degrees of banking in the turns.
- The frontstretch and backstretch each have nine degrees of banking.
- Both stretches are 1,076 feet long.
- Jeremy Mayfield has the highest qualifying speed, topping 161 miles an hour.
- Carl Edwards has the highest average finish of any active driver.
- Jimmie Johnson, Ryan Newman, Matt Kenseth and Jeff Gordon are second through fifth in terms of average finish at Dover
- Matt Kenseth and Kurth Busch won races here last year.
- Jimmie Johnson won three of the previous four races at Dover, and has six wins at the track.
- Bill Elliott, Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon have won four times at Dover.
- Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch and Greg Biffle are also multiple race winners.
- Dover won’t allow you to bring golf carts or ATV’s to the race.
- Tents are out of the mix as well.
- So too are campfires. Thank goodness you can’t start a fire near gallons of gasoline.
- The Montser Mile also have a Monster FunZone.
- They do have a new service where you can text track officials about unruly fans, because it’s rare for fans to get overly sauced at a race. Fans can send concerns to 69050 and type “Dover” in the message.
- This race will also showcase Autism Speaks, which works to spread awareness about this growing condition. Cause marketing may annoy you during some races. This week is worth a few moments of your attention
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL