JOHNSON’S DOVER WIN DOESN’T END CHASE
The sense of panic is already apparent. “They may as well just start engraving Jimmie Johnson’s trophy now,” some may say. The fear is understandable. B... more
JOHNSON WINS, OTHER CHASERS FALTER
After a disappointing 25th place finish in last weekend’s Chase opener in New Hampshire, Jimmie Johnson showed up in Dover in championship form. A five-time winner ... more
JOHNSON WINS AAA 400
Jimmie Johnson's march to an unprecedented fourth straight Sprint Cup title continued on Sunday in Dover with his win over teammate Mark Martin in the second race of the ... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
The Monster Mile.
Not only does Dover have the coolest logo/mascot/dude that could mess with Iron Man, it also has a surface that messes with even the best Sprint Cup drivers.
Dover is a one-mile oval that’s fast, narrow and built with gobs of banking. That makes passing difficult. And oh by the way the track changes significantly as rubber builds, more so than other spots on tour. Some drivers liken it to a bigger Bristol, though drivers rely more on one groove at Dover than Bristol.
Dover has hosted 85 Sprint Cup races; so folks know their way around the track. It will be an adventure when race coverage begins at 1 on ESPN. Now some other fun facts from the track’s website while you’re eating grilled meat and fretting about your fantasy football team.
- Dover has 24 degrees of banking in the turns.
- The frontstretch and backstretch each have nine degrees of banking.
- Both stretches are 1,076 feet long.
- Jeremy Mayfield has the highest qualifying speed, topping 161 miles an hour.
- Carl Edwards has the highest average finish of any active driver at the Monster Mile.
- Jimmie Johnson, Ryan Newman, Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle have the second through fifth in average finish at Dover.
- Jimmie Johnson won the race here earlier this year and swept Dover in 2009.
- Johnson also has the most wins of any active driver at Dover.
- Matt Kenseth and Kurt Busch won the two Dover races in 2011.
- Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon have won four times at Dover.
- Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle are also multiple race winners.
- Dover won’t allow you to bring golf carts or ATV’s to the race.
- Tents are out of the mix as well.
- So too are campfires. Thank goodness you can’t start a fire near gobs of gasoline.
- They do have a new service where you can text track officials about unruly fans, because it’s rare for fans to get overly sauced at a race. Fans can send concerns to 69050 and type “Dover” in the message.