Entering the day with the top three in the Chase standings separated by only 38 points, Sunday’s 500-mile... MORE
No photos at this time.
Texas Motor Speedway
Texas Motor Speedway is a 1.5 mile tri-oval. Like a classic Western, this race is bound to have several twists and turns.
It took 11 years for a driver to win twice at Texas. Only four drivers have won at Texas multiple times, and their names aren’t Johnson or Gordon.
Texas is known for liking things big. Fitting this track is most analogous to Atlanta and Charlotte. That means speed. Lots of speed. Plus, Texas has enough grooves where cars can actually pass other cars in multiple locations. The asphalt holds cars well, which allows them to reach speeds approaching 200 mph. This is a recipe that yields long runs under green. It also yields long hours for the engine shops who have to make sure their cars can hold up for long runs at full throttle in Texas heat.
The pit crews will be busy. Most will swap out four tires every chance they can get, and the cars will need to pit at least five times for fuel.
Here are some other facts you can impress your friends with Sunday afternoon while watching ESPN’s broadcast coverage at 3 EST, courtesy of the track’s website.
- The banking is 24 degrees in the corners, and five degrees in the straightaways.
- The frontstretch is 2,250 feet, and the backstretch is 1,330 feet.
- Tony Stewart won this race last year and has two career wins at the track.
- Denny Hamlin swept the 2010 races at Texas.
- Greg Biffle won the Samsung Mobile 500 back in April.
- His teammate (for at least another few weeks) won that same race in April, 2011.
- Hamlin has the highest average finish at Texas. Kenseth is second. Jimmie Johnson, Trevor Bayne and Mark Martin round out the top five average finishers.
- Carl Edwards has the most career wins at the track, flipping for fun three times. Still, he only has the 16th best average finish among active drivers.
- Race winners get a cowboy hat. Yee Haw…
- The track’s address is Lone Star Circle.
- This doesn’t surprise me either.
- The speedway thinks it can cram 191,000 people at the facility for a race.
- 122,000 people can fit in the grandstand.
- Tickets are still available for the race.
- There are 600 acres to park cars, trucks and aircraft carriers.
- There are 1,656 restrooms for women.
- There are 843 restrooms for men.
- Talk about trying to appeal to the female demographic.
- Texas Motor Speedway is the first speedway ever to display the laps in the race counting down and counting up, because math is hard.
- Texas also has enough lighting for 11 NFL stadiums.
- Texas doesn’t run a race at night, but everything in bigger in Texas.
- The Eli Young Band will place race weekend.
- Most pit access is still available
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL