Coming into the day the leader in the standings, Kevin Harvick had the opportunity to become the first driver locked... MORE
No photos at this time.
Michigan International Speedway
Kid Rock, Bob Seger and a bunch of Motown acts I don’t listen to are getting amped up for this weekend, as NASCAR returns to Michigan Sunday for the Carfax 400.
Michigan is a 2-mile D-shaped oval. This is a pedal to the metal kind of track where the throttle needs a massage at the end of the afternoon. There’s also more room to pass here than at most tracks. The bad news is the engines get a work out. It’s not a matter of if there are engine failures. It’s how many. But with drivers feeling frustrated with the inability to pass with the COT, it’s a risk drivers are willing to take.
The race is Sunday, with ESPN’s coverage starting at 1 EDT. Now some random facts to impress your friends while eating voracious amounts of meat and checking your favorite used car history report while shopping for an American made car.
- The banking is 18 degrees in the corners, 12 degrees in the frontstretch and 5 degrees in the backstretch.
- The frontstretch is 3,600 feet and 2,242 feet.
- The grandstand seats nearly 120,000 people.
- Brian Vickers is the defending race champion and won’t be able to defend his title.
- Denny Hamlin won the June race here in a Toyota.
- Jack Roush’s head may have exploded over that previous sentence.
- Carl Edwards has the highest average finish of any active driver. Ten of his twelve career starts have yielded finish inside the top 10.
- Matt Kenseth, Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin and Tony Stewart have the second through fifth highest average finish at MIS.
- Edwards, Kenseth, Gordon, Mark Martin, Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman are multiple race winners at MIS.
- Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. That’s rare for me to type; so, I’ll type it again. Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. In sixteen career starts, his average finish is sixteenth..
- Saving Abel will host a concert after the race.
- This band also played before the first race at Michigan International Speedway
- Saving Abel must have some pretty cool photos or be related to track management.
- Children under 12 get general admission tickets for free.
- Every September 11, the track hosts a blood drive to honor those who died during the attacks.
- The speedway has an entire section of its website devoted to environmentally friendly efforts.
- In all seriousness, the track’s website is the best website of any I’ve seen doing race previews all year. You should really look at it.
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL