Latest 3 Articles
CARFAX 400 RACE TIME AND TV
Carfax 400 at Michigan International SpeedwayDate: Sunday, Aug. 16, 2009TV: ESPNRace time: 2 pm ETDefending champ: Carl EdwardsFavorite to win the race: Carl EdwardsThe w... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
Kid Rock, Bob Seger and a bunch of Motown acts I don’t listen to are getting amped up for this weekend, as NASCAR returns to Michigan Sunday for the Carfax 400.
Michigan is a 2-mile D-shaped oval. This is a pedal to the metal kind of track where the throttle needs a massage at the end of the afternoon. There’s also more room to pass here than at most tracks. The bad news is the engines get a work out. It’s not a matter of if there are engine failures. It’s how many. But with drivers feeling frustrated with the inability to pass with the COT, it’s a risk drivers are willing to take.
The race is Sunday, with ESPN’s coverage starting at 1 EDT. Now some random facts to impress your friends while eating voracious amounts of meat and checking your favorite used car history report while shopping for an American made car.
- The banking is 18 degrees in the corners, 12 degrees in the frontstretch and 5 degrees in the backstretch.
- The frontstretch is 3,600 feet and 2,242 feet.
- The grandstand seats nearly 120,000 people.
- Brian Vickers is the defending race champion and won’t be able to defend his title.
- Denny Hamlin won the June race here in a Toyota.
- Jack Roush’s head may have exploded over that previous sentence.
- Carl Edwards has the highest average finish of any active driver. Ten of his twelve career starts have yielded finish inside the top 10.
- Matt Kenseth, Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin and Tony Stewart have the second through fifth highest average finish at MIS.
- Edwards, Kenseth, Gordon, Mark Martin, Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman are multiple race winners at MIS.
- Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. That’s rare for me to type; so, I’ll type it again. Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. In sixteen career starts, his average finish is sixteenth..
- Saving Abel will host a concert after the race.
- This band also played before the first race at Michigan International Speedway
- Saving Abel must have some pretty cool photos or be related to track management.
- Children under 12 get general admission tickets for free.
- Every September 11, the track hosts a blood drive to honor those who died during the attacks.
- The speedway has an entire section of its website devoted to environmentally friendly efforts.
- In all seriousness, the track’s website is the best website of any I’ve seen doing race previews all year. You should really look at it.