Daytona International Speedway
The 2.5-mile tri-oval has hosted many famous moments; Saturday offers a new twist. We’ll get to see how drivers reacted to the two-by-two tag team approach that changed/marred the Daytona 500.
We know Daytona is fast. We know Daytona has room to pass. It’s a shorter race, but engines still get quite the workout, especially in hot, humid Florida. Disugstinly hot, humid Florida after this wave of heat has blown through the country.
While the action on the track is great, the fan experience away from the track is also pretty impressive. Many fans take the entire week off to enjoy the ocean and activities around Florida. Daytona International Speedway has also worked hard to create a series of events for racing fans; some of whom even get to partake in a pit stop with a real Sprint Cup car. There’s an IMAX to boot for those of you who hate warm weather and sun.
Now for the important facts from the track's website to impress your friends with when TNT starts the race coverage Saturday evening at 7 EDT.
- Daytona has 31 degrees of banking on the turns, three degrees of banking on the backstretch and 18 degrees of banking on the frontstretch.
- The backstretch is 3,000 feet.
- The frontstretch is 3,800 feet.
- Mark Martin set the qualifying record of 191.188 miles per hour back in February.
- The fastest race time was set by Jeff Gordon back in 2002. Gordon traveled 183.674 miles an hour.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has the highest average finish at the track.
- Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Clint Bowyer and AJ Allmendinger have the second through fifth best average finishes at Daytona.
- Gordon has won here six times. Tony Stewart has won here three times.
- David Ragan is the defending race champion.
- Matt Kenseth won the first race at Daytona in 2012. Some refer to it as the Daytona 500.
- We know it’s the end of a holiday weekend, but the track does not allow fireworks.
- The track does host a massive fireworks display after the race for those who like that sort of thing.
- My apologies to all the dudes on the side of the road selling fireworks out of their van.
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL