RICHMOND, Va. _ Throughout the years Kyle Busch has been called many things. Impatient. Rowdy. Aggressive. You name it, he’s... MORE
No photos at this time.
Richmond International Raceway
Federated Auto Parts
Richmond is one of my favorite stops on tour. The track brings history, as racing began in Richmond 64 years ago at Strawberry Hill Speedway. NASCAR has run at Richmond since 1953.
Three name changes, four configuration changes and one surface change later, the .75-mile D-shaped oval layout still draws crowds in excess of 90,000. Richmond is the fastest short track on tour. Fans get a combination of speed and side-by-side racing, along with the physical nature of short tracks. Plus, they run at night.
This is the final race before the Chase. Teams put in extra effort to be good here earlier in the year fearing they would have to be great here in order to make the Chase. Teams have their short track setups ready to go. You’ll get great efforts Saturday night at 7:30.
Now some random facts from the track’s website you can impress your friends with this weekend.
- The banking is 14 degrees in turns, eight degrees at the starting line and two degrees on the back stretch.
- The front stretch is 1,290-feet long, and the back stretch is 860 feet in length.
- The track seats 97,912 fans.
- Lights were added at the track back in 1991.
- Richmond is the only track to run both races at night.
- Kyle Busch has won two of three year, including earlier this year.
- Kevin Harvick won this race last year.
- Kyle Busch has the highest average finish at Richmond, with four wins and thirteen finishes inside the top-10.
- Denny Hamlin, Clint Bowyer, Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick are second-fifth in highest average finish.
- Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson have each won here three times.
- Jeff Gordon is the only active driver to have won here twice.
- You’re only allowed to bring one plastic bag into the race. It’s not allowed to have ice.
- Why would you put ice in a plastic bag? That’s bad science and a recipe for disaster.
- You’re allowed to bring a video camera, but it must be worn separately over the neck or on the belt. Otherwise you will be punched in the face.
- You’re allowed to bring a flag, but not a flag pole.
- You’re not allowed to bring pets, fireworks, beach balls or strollers to the track.
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL