EARNHARDT LOSING STREAK REACHES 52
Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s season of unrelenting misery and inexplicable failure continued at Lowe's Motor Speedway, where Earnhardt finished 38th after a long, frustrating nig... more
JOHNSON DOMINATING THE CHASE
CONCORD, N.C. _ He dominated practice. He dominated qualifying. And at the end of the night the right team was celebrating in Victory Lane. Clearly driving the best car a... more
JOHNSON GETS KNAUS PERFECT WEEKEND
With his victory at Lowe's Motor Speedway on Saturday night, Jimmie Johnson has won three of the first five Chase races and is pulling away from the field in his quest fo... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
This is the only Chase race to take place on a Saturday night. Some 140,000 people typically attend this race, so you should expect a party atmosphere. Kasey Kahne has won three of the last seven events here. Jeff Burton is the defending race champion.
For those of you who don’t like fuel duels, this might be the track for you. Most teams will pit because they need tires, not fuel. They can run almost 70 laps on one tank at Lowe’s. Drivers seem to like the track because there aren’t many gimmicks. The racing and structure are pretty no-nonsense. That said, there isn’t a lot of straightaway space. Drivers will spend most of their evening turning. Tight cars will lose ground. Loose cars will cause a ruckus. Cars will get close together looking for the right lines.
Those ruckuses could be pretty intense. Drivers can approach 190 mph on the track. It’s also a hometown race for virtually all of the Sprint Cup drivers and their crews. With so many families in the stands, suites and infield, drivers and teams seem to give a little extra mojo.
Random facts to impress your friends Saturday night:
- Next time you think resurfacing the track isn’t a big deal, consider this: More than 20 million pounds of asphalt was used to repave the racing surface in 2006.
- Elliott Sadler set the record for top qualifying speed, topping 193 miles an hour.
- Jimmie Johnson has the highest average finish at the track. I know. A big stunner.
- David Reutimann has the second highest average finish at the track. I know. A real stunner.
- There are more than 100 flagpoles at the track. Who said racing wasn’t patriotic?
- President George Washington once ate at a house that was on the property. Who said racing in Charlotte wasn't patriotic?
Track length: 1.5 miles
Banking: Corners - 24 degrees; straights - 5 degrees
Grandstand seating capacity: 140,000