Sunday afternoon at Pocono Raceway, Jeff Gordon joined some very elite company in the NASCAR history books. By scoring the... MORE
The Pocono race has a special significance for NASCAR's TV coverage, it marks the handoff from Fox to TNT for... MORE
LONG POND, Pa. _ As NASCAR has progressed over the years, so too has the technology available to crews both... MORE
Drivers and fans often complain of cookie cutter racetracks. You won’t hear those complaints about Pocono.
Completed in 1968, the 2.5 miles tri-oval is unique at every point. Three straightaways have three different lengths. Three turns have three different degrees of banking. Every aspect of a driver and team will be tested, which you can’t say at several tracks on tour.
From a fans perspective, Pocono is known for being extremely fan friendly, with one of the better tailgating setups, because another long party is just what people need two weeks after Memorial Day.
Here are some more random facts to impress their friends as TNT race coverage Sunday at 1 EDT.
- Pocono’s frontstretch is a super whopping 3,740 feet.
- Pocono’s backstretch is a whopping 3,055 feet.
- The banking is 14 degrees at Turn 1, 8 degrees at Turn 2 and 6 degrees at Turn 3.
- There is 2 degree banking on the stratghtaways.
- The shortstretch at Pocono just 1,780 feet.
- Jeff Gordon is the defending race champion.
- Brad Keselowski won the August race at Pocono.
- Jimmie Johnson has the best average finish among active drivers.
- Denny Hamlin has four wins here and has the second best average among active drivers.
- Gordon, Mark Martin and Tony Stewart have the third through fifth best average finishes. Martin is the only one of the five to have not won here twice.
- Martin has 50 starts at Pocono and zero wins
- Kurt Busch and Carl Edwards have also won twice at Pocono.
- The Pocono track is located on Long Pond Road. I don’t know why that makes me giggle.
- Pocono built its own solar energy farm.
- The track does allow fanny packs. Whew.
- The track offers free parking. Kids under 12 get in free Friday and Saturday.
- Standing on the seats is prohibited. Don’t do it. Or else something will happen.
- The track also enforces the Pennsylvania Clean Air Act, or the “Take that smokers. You can’t light up at the track act.”
- There is nowhere to buy supplies for those camping on the infield. They also don’t let folks back in the infield camping area; so bring plenty of toilet paper, grilled meat and hydration.
|JEFF GORDON: NASCAR'S GAME-CHANGING DRIVER
|SUNDAY THE GIANT KILLERS PREVAILED
|WHY KURT BUSCH IS GOOD FOR NASCAR
|'SHUT UP & DRIVE" HE SAID!
|EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT KYLE BUSCH WELL