Quicken Loans 400: Win, Lose or Draw
How fitting that on Father's Day, Nascar's Godfather ruled the roost at the Quicken Loans 400. No, we're not talking about Jimmie Johnson, who became the first dri... more
Quicken Loans 400 Odds
"Don't call it a comeback." LL Cool J's words from more than 20 year ago can make Nascar fans feel a few different ways. We all can feel really old that "Mama Said... more
GRATEFUL JR. THANKS HIS NATION
“They stuck behind me for all these years, and I know exactly what they’ve been thinkin’ about; they’ve been wanting us to get back to vict... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
NASCAR returns to Michigan Sunday for the Quciken Loans 400 a few hours away from Detroit. Virtually everyone in NASCAR received some form of financial support from one of the major automakers headquartered in Michigan.
On the track, it's a 2-mile D-shaped oval. Like Pocono, MIS was repaved, and this will be the first run on the new surface. This was a pedal to the metal kind of track where the throttle needs a massage at the end of the afternoon. With the new surface, watch out.
There’s also more room to pass here than at most tracks. The bad news is the engines get a work out. It’s not a matter of if there are engine failures. It’s how many.
The race is Sunday, with TNT’s coverage starting at 1 EDT. Now some random facts to impress your friends while eating voracious amounts of dip, preferably a brand that sponsors Sprint Cup races.
- The banking is 18 degrees in the corners, 12 degrees in the frontstretch and 5 degrees in the backstretch.
- The frontstretch is 3,600 feet and 2,242 feet.
- The grandstand seats nearly 120,000 people.
- Denny Hamlin is the defending race winner.
- Brad Keselowski won the fall race here.
- Carl Edwards has the highest average finish of any active driver.
- Matt Kenseth, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin have the second through fifth highest average finish at MIS. .
- Mark Martin, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle and Ryan Newman have are multiple race winners at MIS.
- Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. That’s rare for me to type; so, I’ll type it again. Jimmie Johnson has never won at Michigan. In twenty career starts, his average finish is fifteenth.
- The speedway has an entire section of its website devoted to environmentally friendly efforts.
- In all seriousness, the track’s website is the best website of any I’ve seen doing race previews all year. You should really look at it.