A MINORITY REPORT ON THE MARTINSVILLE MADNESS
For the first time in what seems like forever, NASCAR Nation is talking about the action that actually happened on the track, instead of what should have happened. Thou... more
KEVIN HARVICK IS THE BLUE COLLAR CANDIDATE
On more than one occasion, this observer has opined today’s NASCAR is more about the race and the personalities than it is about the cars, with the age of the muscl... more
HAMLIN-JOHNSON DOMINANCE ENDS IN PITS
MARTINSVILLE, Va._ Coming into this weekend’s Goody’s Fast Relief 500 at the Martinsville Speedway, the question was could anyone stop the dominance of Denny ... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
Drivers will contend with two reasonably long straightaways with zero banking, then hit two tight corners. Since it’s a 500-lap race, you don’t have to be a math major to realize how often the breaking package will be tested Sunday. Martinsville also has asphalt on the straightaways and concrete along the turns. Even though this is the shortest track on the circuit, there are plenty of opportunities for a driver to feel uncomfortable.
- Martinsville opened in 1947. It is the only track to host a race in NASCAR’s top series every year since 1949.
- The banking is twelve degrees in the corner. There is no banking on the straightaways, which are 55 feet wide and 800 feet long.
- Winners receive a grandfather clock instead of a trophy
- Ryan Newman won this race last year.
- Jimmie Johnson won the fall race.
- Johnson has the highest average finish at Martinsville among active drivers. The #48 won here seven times.
- Denny Hamlin swept Martinsville in 2010 and has four career wins. He won't be racing Sunday.
- Jeff Gordon has sevenwins and the second best average finish among active drivers.
- Brad Keselowski, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Mark Martin have the third through fifth best average finishes.
- Tony Stewart has three wins here. Mark Martin won here twice. There are no other multiple race winners. In fact, only Harvick, Jeff Burton, Kurt Busch and Bobby Labonte are the only active drivers with a win here.
- No driver has qualified with a speed over 100 MPH.
- Coolers are allowed, but they must have soft sides.
- Fireworks and strollers are not allowed at the track.
- Who would bring a baby to a NASCAR race, let alone a baby and fireworks? That just seems unsafe.
- Why would you need fireworks in April? I know every fireworks store has 80% off all the time, but come on.
- Several sites suggest the hot dogs at Martinsville are really good.
- Martinsville won’t reveal the recipe that makes their hot dogs so great.
- I'm hungry.