GEN 6: SO FAR A NEW CAR, BUT THE SAME ISSUE
“I hate to be Denny downer, but I just didn't pass that many cars today. That's the realistic fact of it.” It’s an interesting observation from Denny ... more
DARIAN GRUBB: WINNING!
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Crew chief Darian Grubb isn’t going to crow and thump his chest over his victory with Denny Hamlin Sunday; it’s not his ... more
A GORDON COMEBACK? HE NEVER WENT AWAY!
Good Heavens, you would think by the way people are acting, Jeff Gordon had raced his way back from NASCAR hell with his win in the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
Phoenix International Raceway is a one-mile track that runs races twice a year. Phoenix still insists calling their races “500’s” even though the race is just 312 miles. This race will cook Sunday.
It's also a much more realistic sense of what to expect in the 2013 Sprint Cup season. The track is more Bristol and Martinsville. But the news surface and new car model should increase speed even more. Coupled with loose conditions under warm weather, and we could have some interesting activity Sunday on Fox.
Phoenix is also known to have several long runs under green, which might be nice after Daytona. Now some random facts to impress your friends with this Sunday, thanks to the track’s web site.
- Jimmie Johnson has the best average finish at Phoenix and has won here four times.
- Mark Martin has the second-best average finish, followed by Denny Hamlin, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart.
- Martin, Jeff Burton, Kevin Harvick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have won twice here.
- Hamlin and Kevin Harvick won here last year.
- The banking in turns one and two is eleven degrees. The banking in turns three and four is nine degrees.
- The banking in the frontstretch is three degrees. On the backstretch, it's nine degrees.
- The frontstretch is 1,179 feet, and the backstretch is 1,551 feet
- Arizona law prohibits fans from bringing alcohol to the track.
- They do have a SPEED Cantina, which apparently serves Diet Coke.
- They also have a wine area outside Turn 4.
- The track also won’t let you bring umbrellas to the track. It’s Phoenix.
- They have a weather policy in case rain delays things in the desert.