Team Orders? Not At Joe Gibbs Racing!
Dale Earnhardt Jr. wouldn't have done it to Jimmie Johnson, though I'd suspect Johnson would to Junior. All bets would be off if SHR's Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart ... more
Kurt Busch “The Outlaw” Outruns The Posse
For most, the comeback trail is a long ascent from the bottom. Such is not the way of the NASCAR fans call "The Outlaw." Kurt Busch has been hauling the mai... more
NASCAR Odds: Toyota Owners 400
So much for Joe Gibbs Racing being done for the year. JGR has two wins in its last two Sprint Cup starts. As teams head to Richmond for Sunday's Toyota Owners 400,... more
No any photos yet.
No any videos yet.
Richmond is one of my favorite stops on tour. The track brings history; this is the 60th year of NASCAR racing there.
Three name changes, four configuration changes and one surface change later, the .75-mile D-shaped oval layout still draws crowds in excess of 90,000. Richmond is the fastest short track on tour. Fans get a combination of speed and side-by-side racing, along with the physical nature of short tracks. Plus, they run at night.
The Spring race is also the final race before the Chase. Teams emphasize running well here long before the race begins and won’t leave anything in the trailer. Plus. they worked out some kinks at Bristol and Martinsville.
Now some random facts from the track’s website that you can impress your friends with Saturday night as FOX providing broadcast coverage.
- The banking is 14 degrees in turns, eight degrees at the starting line and two degrees on the back stretch.
- The front stretch is 1,290-feet long, and the back stretch is 860 feet in length.
- The track seats 97,912 fans.
- Lights were added at the track back in 1991.
- Richmond is the only track to run both races at night.
- I like night racing too.
- Kyle Busch and Clint Bowyer won here last year.
- Busch has the highest average finish at Richmond, with four wins and fourteen finishes inside the top-10.
- Denny Hamlin, Clint Bowyer, Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman have the second through fifth highest average finish.
- Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson have each won here three times.
- Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Bowyer and Hamlin are the only active drivers to have won here twice.
- You’re only allowed to bring one plastic bag into the race. It’s not allowed to have ice.
- Why would you put ice in a plastic bag? That’s bad science and a recipe for disaster.
- You’re allowed to bring a video camera, but it must be worn separately over the neck or on the belt. Otherwise you will be punched in the face.
- You’re allowed to bring a flag, but not a flag pole.
- You’re not allowed to bring pets, fireworks, beach balls or strollers to the track.